CURRICULUM VITAE OF MICHAEL CHARLES POPPLEWELL
ADDRESS: 536 Pittwater Rd
North Manly NSW 2100
CONTACTS (02) 9400 0144 (W)
EDUCATION, EMPLOYMENT DETAILS AND EXPERIENCE TIMELINE
– 1966-1978: School at Birrong Public Primary, Birrong Public Secondary and Sir Joseph Banks Primary schools. HSC matriculation
– 1974: Started racing bicycles at club level.
– 1975: Sent by Bankstown Sports Cycling Club to Mersey Valley, Tasmania to race in a junior national level bicycle race
– 1978-1980: Worked in various jobs including bank officer at Rural Bank, storeman at Woolworths, credit control officer at Sanyo and sale representative at Canon photocopiers.
– 1980-1991: Professional Fire Fighter with NSW Fire Brigades whilst also involved in a variety of part time occupations: including owning and running a furniture removals business (1985-1987) and office manager-assistant accountant at a chartered accountants office (1988)
– 1983-1985: Coached by Kenneth Graham (an exercise physiologist who has since gone on to be head of NSWIS).
– 1984: Third placed in Sydney Metropolitan road championships, beating Kevin Nichols and Eddie Salas (both Olympians), 10th in Tour of Canberra elite race.
– Captain-coach of Northern Suburbs Cycling team time trial team.
– 1984-1985: Coached Jordan Reizes in road and track cycling.
– 1985: Represented Australia at Tour of Texas, competing against Andy Hampsten (went on to win Giro d’Italia in 1988) and Alexi Grewal (Olympic road champion 1984).
– 1986: Completed most third year subjects in the four-year part time TAFE Accounting Certificate.
– Typing keyboard course TAFE.
– 1988: Diploma of Remedial Massage, Naturecare College.
– Placed 5th in category 2 in Grafton to Inverell 242 kilometre road race.
– Certificate of Shiatsu, Naturecare College.
– Certificate of Nutrition, Naturecare College.
– 1989: Certificate of Corrective Exercise Therapy, Naturecare College.
– Certificate of Deep Tissue Muscle Therapy, Naturecare College.
– Certificate of Counselling, Naturecare College.
– Travelled to France, Switzerland and Belgium for four months racing bicycles. Top 10 placings in first category amateur races in all three countries.
– Attended Vipassana 10 day Buddhist meditation course at Blackheath.
– 1989-present Vipassana meditator, completing 15 10 day courses and served a further 10 days at the center.
– 1990: Certificate in Chinese Massage, Naturecare College.
– Completed 26 day Outward Bound personal development-survival course, rainforests near Townsville and Hinchinbrook Island, Queensland
– Started working full time as masseur in doctors’ clinic in preparation to support of studies at UTS. Was booked out in clinic for one month in advance after four months. Continue to be booked out for at least one week in advance as practitioner to this day.
– 1991: Commenced Bachelor of Applied Science UTS, initially Acupuncture Colleges Australia, course transferred to UTS in 1992.
– Bought first PC and commenced typing up notes of all lectures, continued to do this throughout degree.
– 1991-1992: Student academic representative to board of studies, Acupuncture Colleges Australia.
– 1994: Travelled to Guangzhou, China as part of TCM degree for one month.
– 1995: Opened Wentworth Clinic; negotiated leases, supervised fit-out.
– Self studied networking basics and have managed Wentworth Clinic’s computer network until present.
– Completed Bachelor of Applied Science UTS, graduating in 1996.
– 1999: Visited England to investigate the Worsley School of acupuncture, both at Lemington Spa College and spending a day each with seven of the style’s leading professionals around England. Obtained a copy of and studied the Worsley style’s notes. Met with Ms Elisabeth Rochat de la Vallee.
– Developed and designed and launched a web-based, call centre serviced diary application servicing practitioners and other time based professionals. Incorporated company called Receptions Offsite and was managing director of ‘dot com’ start-up company (1999-2000). Filed priority date with patent office relating to innovations in software concepts. Successfully approached, presented to and created great interest with senior management at Telstra, Vodafone and ‘angel’ venture capital investors as possible partners in the project prior to the tech crash of 2000, after crash, sold controlling interest in the company to software development partner.
– Self study of basics of C++ programming.
– 2001: Self study of basics of SQL databases, set up Raid 5 Server for clinic.
– Flown to Hawaii all expenses paid by Layne Beachley (seven times world women’s professional surfing champion) for two weeks to act as her personal masseur-acupuncturist treating an acute injury which threatened to stop her competing and winning her fifth world championship. I was Layne’s masseur/acupuncturist for her entire professional career (1989-2006)
– 2001-2004: Completed a Masters in Electrical and Information Engineering Research (MER) at Sydney University exploring the electrical characteristics of the acupuncture meridian system. Designed, built and validated an automated computer controlled device to measure the impedance of the whole meridian system. Conducted pilot study, obtained ethics approval from Sydney University, collecting data.
– 2002: Completed Manaka Protocols Certificate (Japanese acupuncture)
– Assisted Mr Paul Movsessian teaching Manaka Protocols in Melbourne at 8 weekend workshops.
– 2003: Worked at UTS as a student clinical supervisor relieving Ms Siu Ping for 3 months while she was on leave
– Completed Toyohari program with Dr Stephen Birch and Mr Paul Movsessian and visiting Japanese senior practitioners.
– Visited Japan for summer conference of Toyohari acupuncture.
– 2003-2006: Coached by Radek Valenta (Czech national team track rider for 10 years) in cycling for road and track endurance.
– 2004: Presented paper at WFAS Brisbane titled ‘An Initial Investigation of the Electrical Properties of the Human Body using the Meridian Electrical Data System (MEDS)’ summarising MER at Sydney University.
– 5th NSW, 4th national championships pursuit track cycling .
– 2005: Gold medal NSW team pursuit track cycling (captain-coach), bronze medal Australian scratch championships.
– 2006: Gold medal in NSW pursuit, silver medal in individual pursuit championships. Visited Dr Hugh Macpherson in York, England, and TCM research facilities in Hong Kong. Gold medals NSW, National individual pursuit track cycling championships, NSW team pursuit championships (captain-coach). Silver medals in NSW time trial and criterium road cycling championships. Bronze medals in individual pursuit and time trial at UCI world masters track cycling championships, Manchester England.
Guest lecturer in practice management at UTS
CNSW Masters 4 cyclist of the year
– 2007: Gold NSW pursuit, silver NSW time trial, NSW Team Sprint titles, national pursuit, national time trial, NSW team pursuit (captain coach), bronze NSW sprint, team sprint, national sprint, 4th UCI world sprint, UCI World time trial track cycling championships.
– Developed and built in collaboration with Tom Skulander from Cycling Australia, a gymnasium machine that enables strength to be trained specifically in the cycling movement called the ‘Powerpedal’. Filed innovation patent.
– Completed cycleskill, level 1 and 2 cycle coaching qualifications. Started coaching cyclists, and have averaged three or more clients from this date. Coached Stewart Campbell to Bronze medal in UCI masters 3 world pursuit championships. Coached Trudy Van der Straaten to bronze in UCI masters 3 pursuit track cycling championships.
– Guest lecturer in practice management at UTS
Commenced PhD at UTS under Chris Zaslawski and John Reizes
2007-2009: Coached by Tom Skulander (head of Cycling Australia paralympic program) in sprint and endurance cycling.
– 2008: Gold NSW sprint, NSW 750 time trial, silver NSW team sprint, national 750 time trial, national team sprint, UCI 750 time trial, bronze UCI team sprint, fourth UCI world sprint track cycling championships.
– CNSW Masters 4 cyclist of the year
– Assistant teacher Tui Na unit at UTS assisting Sean Wallace
– Guest lecturer in practice management at UTS
– Coached Trudy Van der Straaten to gold in Australian masters 4 scratch track cycling championships.
– Obtained approvals for data collection from humans and Meridian Electrical Data System (MEDS) from UTS ethics committee, organised and collected data in an inter-rater reliability trial between five TCM practitioners and a Korean sourced TCM questionnaire. Liaised with translators to translate Korean questionnaire.
– Obtained AACMA research grant.
– 2009: Conducted sprint racing workshop at Dunc Gray velodrome, teaching elementary aspects of track sprinting to novice track riders.
– Set up clinic website www.wentworthclinic.com and, self taught to use web editor, and work as site administrator (2009-present).
– Presented paper at AAAMAC Melbourne called ‘Can a questionnaire replace a practitioner?’ reporting about TCM questionnaires and inter-rater reliability of TCM practitioners.
– Gold Australian team sprint, NSW 750 time trial, NSW 150+ team pursuit, silver UCI masters team sprint, world masters games team sprint, world masters games 750 time trial, national 750 time trial, NSW sprint, bronze national sprint.
– Coached Louise Brown to silver in NSW masters 3 pursuit championships
– 2009-present: Coached by Sean Eadie (NSWIS elite sprint coach, 2002 UCI world sprint champion and 2000, 2004 Olympian) in sprint track cycling.
– 2010: Silver national team sprint, NSW team sprint, bronze NSW sprint. Travelled to Portugal, fourth place UCI world sprint championships
– Coached Stephen Tree to bronze medal in NSW elite team trial championships. Coached Sarah Fletcher to three 1st places in age races in Olympic distance triathalons.
– Commenced three papers outlining results of PhD
– 2011: Bronze in UCI world sprint championships
– Worked as NSW team mechanic for Australian track championships
– Bronze medals in time trial at NSW and Australian championships.
– Coached Alex Green to silver in NSW and national C4 pursuit championships, and bronze medal in UCI Paralympic C4 world pursuit championships. Coached Rod Wagner to gold in Australian masters 9 (70 years +) sprint and time trial championships. Distance coaching British masters cyclist via email and Skype.
– 2012 Silver in UC1 world pursuit championships in Manchester, broke Australian record in Masters 5 individual pursuit. Part of winning over 135 years team in UCI teams pursuit demonstration event and established a world best time for the discipline. Gold in Australian pursuit championships, silver in points race. NSW pursuit champion, second in sprint and time trial championships. ACT omnium masters5 omnium champion. Third in the elite NSW teams pursuit championships
– 2013 Gold in NSW pursuit championships. Retired from competitive cycling.
– Presented at WAFAS international Chinese medical conference in Sydney
– commenced True Results, a web based software program that records Chinese Medical treatment data with Jurgen Schmechel
– 2014 Presented a paper and two posters at the prestigious SAR conference in Beijing. Was one of only 16 junior presenters to be accepted from a worldwide pool.
– 2015 Presented two papers at AACMAC in Adelaide. Launched the True Results program at the conference
– Bronze in NSW freestyle (under one year experience) Ceroc dancing championships
-2016 Completed PhD in improving diagnostic reliability in Chinese Medicine
-2017 State gold medal in Ceroc dance routine ‘Rhythm of the Night’
– 1991 to present: 20 years full time clinical experience consisting of the following;
– 1991-1995: Worked full time as a masseur at Doctor’s rooms whilst studying full time TCM at UTS.
– 1995-1999: Set up and managed Wentworth Clinic, a three room clinic with four practitioners; by 1998 the business had expanded to 8 rooms, a full time practice manager, two part time staff and 14 practitioners including a GP and osteopath, acupuncturists, masseurs and psychologist.
– 1999 to present: working from a smaller clinic of three rooms subletting to a smaller number other professionals than previously; including masseurs, acupuncturists, hypnotherapists and psychologists from time to time.
– Since graduation from UTS I have supervised students from UTS: recognised as a Clinical Associate at UTS.
-Competitive and social dancing
-Competitive road and track cyclist on and off from 1975 to 2013. Multiple NSW and Australian champion cyclist, silver medallist World Masters Games, and twice silver medallist in UCI World Masters Track Championships
– Level 1 cycling coach: coaching elite, masters and paralympic cyclists on road and track at club, NSW national and UCI world championship levels.
– Exercise physiology and sports performance.
-Esoteric studies. Was a student of Doctor Philip Groves for 10 years until 2000, Dr Grove taught the 4th way of Gurdjieff and the mystical teachings of Swedenborg.
– Bush walking.
– Information Technology.
– Member of AACMA for 20 years.
– Professor John Reizes: (alternate PhD supervisor with Chris Zaslawski)
ph 0416 200 288, email email@example.com
– Bob Hayes (ex UTS and Acupuncture Colleges Australia senior administrator)
Ph 0448 880 639, email firstname.lastname@example.org
– Kristina Krieberg (local physiotherapist and client for over 10 years)
Ph 0415 901 096, email email@example.com